Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Chronicle of an earthquake unlived




  • 27th Feb 2010: 3.25 I was sleeping in a confortable bed in the cosy bedroom of my grandmother´s house.

  • 27th Feb 2010: 3.30 I woke up for a bad dream

  • 27th Feb 2010: 3.34 It´s an earthsquakel ! I ´m sitting in my bed and i think “it is strong, but soon it will stop”. In that moment my aunt ( that is like my other mother) tells me to go downstairs and open all the doors of the house. I do everything she asks me , while she helps my grandma walking to the door…we were there, huggins in the door and I think “it don´t stop”...

  • 27th Feb 2010: 3.40 All my family (of Puerto Montt) was in the house of my grandma, we were nervous and confused, but together and well. We all thought that the quake had been alone in the south of the country, and some thought that the volcano Chaiten had guilt.

  • 27th Feb 2010: 4.05 With my cousin went to the house of my Tia Nena to see how she was and we heard on the radio what had happened
    " An earthquake of intensity of 8.5 degrees on the Richter scale, according to preliminary estimates by the Seismological Institute of EE.UU., occurred in the central area just after 03:34 pm with the epicenter of the Bio Bio Region. In Santiago, the intensity was 8.0 degrees"
    I think "Oh no! There was an earthquake in Santiago ... I want and need to know how my family, my boyfriend, my friends!
  • 27th Feb 2010: 11.30 I had not slept, and my aunt and my grandmother also because of the shock. I do not know anything about my family, boyfriend and friends, was very worried. But the signal returned my cell phone! and I knew that all were well finally can sleep.

With the passing of the hours, the news showed all that the earthquake and subsequent tsunami had done. It was shocking to me. With the passing of the hours, the news showed all that the earthquake and subsequent tsunami had done. It was shocking to me. A part of me was happy and calm because the people I love were fine, but another part of me was sad for all the suffering that was in the country.

I think the authorities took very bad choices .. that there were many deaths and losses that could be avoided. However, nobody was prepared for what happened and now it is best to focus the energy on how to help those affected. And of course learn from mistakes.

(I did not experience an earthquake, I just felt a strong tremor )






1 comment:

  1. CAmila you have my picture!!

    well, i think that the cell was an important tool, all people serched their phones for speak with the family in other places. it was a very critical moment the most tence in my life...

    that is my contribution! thank

    see you

    ReplyDelete